Custom Search

Saturday 25 April 2009

Quaker Quakes Caramel Corn Rice Snacks

Quaker Quakes Rice SnacksI knew I wouldn't get through my second lecture of the day without a snack, but I had trepidations about going downstairs to the vending machine as it would most likely be faced with Still, I decided to go have a look and imagine my (pleasant) surprise, when I spotted Quaker Quakes Rice Snacks in Caramel Corn, a 100-calorie bag no less, for $1.00 (not bad for overly inflated vending machine prices). The package advertised Light, Crispy Crunch!

I opened the bag and was pleased to find a satisfying number of rice snacks inside; none of this "only a few small pieces for 100 calories" nonsense. Each cake tasted so much like caramel corn, with a delicate crunch and sweet flavor. Sugar is the second ingredient, so the sweetness is not surprising. One thing that surprised me, though, was the fact that they had 4 different types of sweeteners in the ingredients list - sugar, high fructose corn syrup, sucralose, and acesulfame potassium.

Maybe the combo of real and artificial sweetener makes it possible to have such a delicious caramel flavor for only 100 calories and 0.5 grams of fat. A 26 gram bag of Quaker Quakes Caramel Corn Rice Snacks also has 250 mg of sodium (10% of the RDA), 8 grams of sugar, and 1 gram of protein.

This is one low calorie snack that needs to make it's way into your shopping cart if you on the lookout for a healthier swap for your buttery, sugar-laden caramel corn. While, I like the sweet change of pace, I'm probably still a plain popcorn kinda girl at heart.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More