Custom Search

Sunday 5 April 2009

Freshen Your Breath With A Little Green Tea

Since starting this blog about a year ago and learning so much, one of the things that I have really put to use is all the incredible benefits of green tea (you can read my post if you are interested in knowing more about the benefits of tea). So, today while flipping through the October issue of Good Housekeeping the article on how green tea can freshen your breath really caught my eye. I probably drink at least 5-6 cups of green tea a day (I am not going to lie-this really takes some effort on my part but I do it) and now I have even more reason to drink up. Forget the mints and gum-have some green tea.

A Breath Of Fresh Air

First I want to thank Swubird for giving me the idea for that title. He left a comment on my last post saying something to the effect that my next post on fresh breath would be well a breath of fresh air and I just loved it so thank you Swubird.

Gum, mints uh uh you are going to need green tea if you really want fresh breath according to a group of “Japanese researchers who tested a variety of breath fresheners in the lab. Bad breath is largely caused by sulfur compounds created when bacteria in the mouth break down proteins, so the scientists measured how well would-be-fresheners could either deodorize the compounds or halt their formation. Sugarless gum, mints and parsley-oil products all struck out. Toothpaste removed the odor but didn’t cut production of stinky substances. Only green tea powder succeeded at both properties. The secret: a chemical in the tea that also has antioxidant properties. So end dinner with a cup of green tea or try some delicious green tea ice cream. Beyond the tea’s benefits, the fat in the ice cream helps remove odor-producing bacteria says lead reasearcher Ken Yaegaki, D.D.S., PH.D.”

I personally like my green tea with a little more flavor so I sometimes buy the kind with pomegranate or other flavor in it. I think I will go have a cup now, won’t you join me?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More